Monday, March 7, 2011

Pytash: Jago, Chapter 3

I know this is only the third chapter, but I am frustrated that I can't really figure out if I like this book or not. While I think Jago has a ton of good points, I can't help but disagree with her view of young adult literature. I think it is something that could be very worthwhile to be incorporated in her classroom. Obviously the literature should be relevant. We shouldn't teach Y.A. lit just because it is easier or because we need to fill some time. But if we do something like the project we're doing in class, real learning could take place. Yes, our students should be challenged. But what if the canonical text is too far out of their reach, even with our guidance? Should we just ignore the requirement of teaching "xyz" novel and ignore the knowledge that we are not helping our students learn? Or should we try to find ways to get around the reading level difficulty and still teach the same themes and so on. Obviously the answer is the latter. We should do all we can to solve the challenge of students not being able to read a classic text and I think the answer could lie in reading young adult lit.

For example, while I'm sure none of us really found "Of Mice and Men" hard to understand and even enjoy, our students may not be able to do so. We are English teachers because we love to read and and understand a novel. We know how it can mirror the world around us and are eager, to some degree, to make these connections. But many of our students won't be future English teachers. Some may not go to college. Some may never read for fun and really struggle with this activity. So it is quite plausible that these same students may not be able to read "Of Mice and Men" let alone even begin to comprehend the intricacies of the novel. So, it would be wise to teach a young adult novel that deals with some of the same issues, such as "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes." Why not if it will help our students? We want to be in the Zone that Jago constantly stresses. We don't want to put in minimal effort, but we also don't want to challenge our students so much they give up.

On the other hand, while I disagree with her thoughts on Y.A. lit in the classroom, I really liked her idea of documenting what literature students read throughout their entire high school career. This is beneficial to the students because they can track their reading and see how they have progressed. It is beneficial to the teachers because we can track their reading. Is the difficulty really increasing? Are we teaching relevant books? Is one teacher being too easy or too hard? I think it could also be used as a form of alternative assessment, especially if students reflect on the record at the end.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Reading this text, I keep going back and forth with whether I agree with her or not. I agree that classic texts need to be read in the classroom, but I think she goes a little overboard saying that ONLY classics should be taught. I don't know if I am right, but I think this is too drastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that in order to kind of combine the classics in the classroom with YA lit, doing something like how we are doing in class with pairing classics with YA lit might be a good way to go. That way you can really focus on themes that are similar in the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I selected this book because Jago offers a different perspective from many of the authors we read last semester. I am glad you are struggling with these issues (it shows you are thinking!) - our rationale for teaching books is very important - and it is important we have a reason for selecting particular books (more than just "well, it is on the district's curriculum guide").

    ReplyDelete