Monday, March 28, 2011

Foot: Cleveland Film Festival part 2

Again, I saw Rubber (the serial killer tire).
A) Personal Issues: I think what I liked the most about this film was the absurdness of it. You can't examine this film too closely or I think it will be ruined. There is no reason for this film; it just is and it works, at least for me. I went into the film expecting the film to be totally crazy because the little blurb in the pamphlet we got commented that the film was absurd. I wasn't expecting some artistic movie that commented on the deeper meaning of life, so I had no problem with this film. I think other people will feel the same way, to differing extents, of course. If someone is expecting a serious film, then they will be disappointed by this film. But if they are just looking for a good time and for a few laughs, I think this film would be good.
B) Technique: While the acting in the movie was definitely over the top, the film was put together really well. The music really heightened what was going on and was mostly instrumental, which fit with what was going on. There were some sections that had lyrics, but this also worked. For example, some of the lyrics when the tire first sees the girl that is a main focus point, the lyrics are something like "Don't want to be lonely no more." It helped to give the tire personality that it might not have had since it couldn't talk. In my opinion, the special effects were pretty good. I couldn't see that there were strings or anything moving the tire, but it also didn't look like it was CGI. The tire looked real and really looked like it had a mind of its own. Overall, the film looked really good.
C) Acting: Robert, the tire, was the main character and really, even though it wasn't an actual actor, was probably the best "actor." Throughout the film, the tire really seems to have a mind of its own. I do have to say that the tire wouldn't have been as good by itself; it was definitely helped out by the real actors. Although they have names according to the cast list, they weren't really named during the film, so I won't call them by name. But the male actors who played the main cop and the accountant were two of my favorites, along with the actor in the wheel chair. While some of the acting was over the top (so serious that it was too serious and became funny), this fit with the mood of the film. Overall, I would say the actors were cast well and, given the situation of the movie, were believable.
D) Plot: Rubber is about a serial killer tire named Robert. Robert discovers that he is able to blow people up using his telekinetic powers and sets out on a killing spree. Meanwhile, a group of spectators are "safely" watching Robert from a distance and Robert is being chased by cops.
      Is the plot realistic and believable? Not at all. But for a movie that claims it is an homage to no reason, the plot really works. I thought the plot was pretty original. I have never seen or read anything about a serial killer tire, especially not one that has super powers. While watching the film, I tended to personify Robert. Even though I knew he was a tire, I would start to wonder what was he was thinking, why he was on this killing spree, and so on. I think since the film was able to do this, the plot, although extremely absurd, was good.
E) Themes: I think, if there is a deeper meaning to this film, it is that we try to put chaos into order, even when it will not benefit us. We try to make sense of everything around us, even though there are some things in this world that just defies sense.  But I also feel that this film doesn't need to have a deeper meaning. The cop at the beginning warns us that there is no point to this film and he is right. If I am right about the deeper meaning, it's not distracting from the plot.
F) Genre: If I had to choose, I would classify Rubber as a supernatural horror/comedy movie. I mean, there is a live tire that kills people, but the film is funny. But honestly, because Rubber sets itself up as being so absurd, I sort of feel like it is in its own class, although I don't know what that would be. I think many people want to believe in the supernatural, at least for a little bit of time. That's why movies about vampires and witches, or even superheroes are so popular. As a society, we like horror because it allows us to examine our fear without being in that situation. Finally, we like comedy because sometimes we just want to laugh. It doesn't matter from what, we just want to see things that make us laugh.
G) Representation: This film doesn't really represent different kinds of people because they aren't really the main focus points. Yes, there is diversity (men, women, children, teenagers, adults, there is a man in a wheelchair, there is an African American woman), but the film doesn't highlight their differences. They are just there watching a tire. This film isn't meant to examine life or people. There is no reason to the film.
H) Ideology: If I had to choose an ideology, I would go back to the deeper meaning I have already discussed. It's natural for human beings to try to make sense of the world around us, even when sense can't really be applied. I think the film challenges this belief, because the more someone tries to make sense of the film, the more he or she can't. As I've said before, the film has no reason. The plot is absurd, the characters are absurd. The whole concept of the film is crazy specifically so that the film won't make any real sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment