Friday, March 18, 2011

Foot: Spring Break

First, I would just like to wish everyone a good spring break. Enjoy the time off from classes. I know I will. While I'm definitely not taking the whole week off, I have worked it so that my homework will be done by Thursday (besides reading books-I don't really consider that homework if it is at least somewhat interesting). This way, I can have Friday and the weekend to relax and to take a break from school. But right now, I'm listening to music, typing this, wanting to play with my new cell phone and my puppy if there weren't people working on our roof. I also have a video game on pause! Then work tonight, and then maybe a little homework

Some of the customers where I work seem to think it's weird that I'm so eager for break. It's like they think that just because I am going to be a teacher, that automatically means that I want to be in school everyday. So not true, but I think a lot of people see that. Or there are a ton of people who go into teaching because of all the breaks. That's not why I'm in teaching and I'm sure anyone else in our class is the same. We're teachers because we know the value of education and want to pass that on. But that doesn't mean that we don't enjoy the time off. Teaching, even if we aren't really doing it yet, is draining and we need the time off to relax and regroup. Otherwise, we might become poor teachers, putting little effort into our plans and teaching. So the time off is good.

Anyway, have a good break, people! And I am jealous of anyone going on vacation...

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great break as well! I got home at 1am last night and this afternoon I was hanging out with some of my friends from work and we were talking about the Senate Bill 5. (Yes we all can groan and mope.) But my friend Steven was reading an article that discusses how much teachers really should get paid. Here's how the math break-down went.

    The average baby-sitting job is about $10 an hour.
    The average school day is about 7 hours.
    The average class is 23 students.

    So let's take 10 x 7= 70 (Which would be being paid to teach one student.)
    Then take that 70 x 23= 1,610 per student a day.
    Then take 1,610 x 5= 8,050 for a week worth of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's amazing about the pay teachers should receive! Too bad society will not come to their senses and see how much work we really do. I was talking to my friend from Germany this week, and she said that we only make a third of what they make. Living expenses probably are a little more over there, but she was really surprised at how little our pay is.

    ReplyDelete