Sunday, February 27, 2011

Foot: Pleasure Reading

So, I finally went out and bought the last two books in the Hunger Games and finished them in two days. I pretty much stayed up all night and didn't do any homework simply so I could finish them. I love this series and it is one I will definitely re-read, at least as soon as I get the first book back from my friend. I thought the plot was great and the characters were definitely engaging. The whole concept of the series just really worked for me, as I know it did for a lot of people.

If at all possible, this is a book that I would like to teach in class. I can easily see putting this in a unit with other books that present dystopias. I think it starting off with The Hunger Games and then moving onto harder books (I'm thinking novels like The Road, Brave New World, maybe even books like 1984 or Lord of the Files), could be a really interesting unit and may be really engaging to students.We could explore common themes in these books and try to pinpoint what makes them so interesting. Even if it's not something I could teach in class, I'm pretty sure that The Hunger Games will make it in my classroom library and on choice books lists. They definitely will keep a spot on one of my bookcases.

No comments:

Post a Comment