Sunday, February 6, 2011

Foot: Kist chapter

I read through the first couple of chapters in Kist's book and was really enjoying it. And then I got distracted by Glee because I love that show and they were doing one of my favorite country songs, Lady A's "Need You Now." Totally awesome.

Anyway, back to the book. Chapter 1 serves as a sort of general introduction to what the book is going to cover and I have to say, I really liked the comparison of the chapters to Starbuck's drinks. However, chapter 2 is what really starts the point of the book, by introducing "low" technologies to change up the classroom. Chapter 2 covers a lot of the activities we have done in class, such as the number game, 4 corners, and Snowball. There are also a few other techniques that are introduced that are pretty interesting, such as snapshot/tableaux dramas, classifying genres, and analyzing films.

There are so many different ways to use technology in our classrooms and I think it is important to shake things up. While there is a reason class face-to-face discussions are used because they do work, online discussions using Wiki or a Facebook or some other social network platform also has its advantages. While I don't think we will ever get to the point where we are entirely online and not reading actual books, I can acknowledge that we do have to learn how to teach kids using different methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment