Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pytash: Jago, Chapter 7

On one hand, I do sort of agree with the thought that only future English majors (or INLA) really need to learn how to analyze a piece of literature. For other students who aren't planning on an English related career, these skills of interpreting and analyzing literature may seem like a waste of time. But I also know that it can help the mind grow.Maybe most students won't have to write a literary analysis for their careers. But this can teach them how to analyze different aspects besides which it also gives writing practice. Every person needs to know how to write; it doesn't matter whether you are an English major, a business major, or even a mechanic. Everyone has to be able to write up reports and whatnot and writing literary analyses can help with this skill.

I liked how Jago helps students connect to Julius Caesar, asking them to think about who they would elect as president. I never thought of that, but that would be a good way for students to get involved with a text, besides just reading it because this would help them decide what they look for in a leader.

2 comments:

  1. I did not put much thought into this part of the chapter and I kind of feel the same way that you do. While I do believe English majors should possess a greater deal of analytical thinking, I believe all students could benefit from this experience. I believe when students actually analyze literature that is when they grow to love it or even become interested. Finding a deeper meaning for students broadens their way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also like her Julius Caesar assignment.

    ReplyDelete