Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pytash: Final Reflection

I enjoyed our class this semester, although I think I like the fall's class better. I was surprised by how different Jago was from Beers and while I like Beers' approach to teaching better, Jago does definitely make some good points. I was all excited last semester, learning how to incorporate young adult lit into the classroom. Jago, for me, stressed the importance of making sure the y.a. lit is used accordingly. We can't just teach Y.A. lit to teach it; there has to be a purpose. However, I think Jago does need to be a little more easy about incorporating Y.A. lit in her classroom. From the way she wrote, it seemed like she thought Y.A. lit had no real place in an English classroom.

I think my favorite thing from this class is actually our final. I liked being able to pair a canonical text with a young adult book and creating a lesson plan for both of these in conjunction. I didn't really care so much about using literary theories, but I can recognize the benefits of introducing these to students. It helps students realize different perspectives and to think about texts in different ways.

Overall, I feel like this class was good experience. The only thing I would want to change is to have more practice writing lesson plans. While I wouldn't want to do one a week, I feel like we should have done more practice lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment