Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chapter 8: Extending Meaning

One of the strategies I really liked in this chapter was retelling. I never thought about it before, but it would be easier for some students to understand a text if it is in a different form. I guess this is what I do when I'm faced with a difficult poem that I know I will have to be able to discuss. Usually, the first time I'm reading that poem, I get so involved in how the line breaks effect the poem that I miss the point. So I start over and read the poem as if I'm reading prose to get the overall meaning first. And then I go back and look at line breaks or capitalization, or whatever. I also liked the strategy "Most Important Word." This was sort of like what we did in class where we picked one word to describe our book and then connected that word to images and themes.

Overall, this chapter was about how to help student keep thinking about the text, even when they are done reading it. The chapter gave a few different strategies, such as retelling, Most Important Word, and repeated a few from previous chapters.

1 comment:

  1. Good point - poetry is a good example for how this strategy can be effective.

    ReplyDelete